Skip to main content

method + mickey

I've been enamored with method home ever since I saw the founders speak at my school (what a cooool story- they literally started out making soap in their bathtub!) It's a brand I stand by- because they consistently stand for good design matched with ecologically sustainable practices and products.

My history with Mickey (and Minnie) Mouse goes back even further- to some of the earliest days of my life. When I was a tot, I was all about Mickey Mouse and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I had Mickey Mouse sheets, though, so you know who was the real favorite...

So I was thrilled to hear that method had teamed up with Mickey. Well...sortof!? Then I saw the bottle, above, and cried to myself for a moment. It's ugly. It's black. And at the end of the day, it's licensed. Method's soap bottles are so beautiful in one way because they're clear. They let you see the product, and the product is beautiful. It's the sort of thing you want sitting next to your sink. It's not black.

While I understand the logical decision to make the entire bottle into the iconic mouse ears, I think it misses its mark. I mean, there's a pump coming straight out of Mickey's head...

You can check out the product page for this partnership here: http://www.methodhome.com/product/mickey-minnie-mouse-hand-wash/?lemonade

What do you think? Is this good design? Are you and your kids excited to use this soap?

Comments

  1. Sometimes it takes a little magic to get kids excited about washing their dirty little paws soooo, that being said, I think for some this is a great design. Who better to bring the magic than Mickey, am I right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looooove Mickey and agree that he brings the magic. I just think this package could be better. It's hovering somewhere between understated minimalist (but licensed) design and full-blown character-based design. Why not push it one way or the other?

    And I'm stuck on the fact that they made it opaque black.

    But the real test is if kids like it....
    Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment