Skip to main content

happy new year: reflections and resolutions

Happy New Year everyone!  I hope the holidays were good to you.  

I know its not exactly December 31 or January 1 anymore, but I think there is still time to ruminate on last year and this year.  I spent this past weekend with three of my favorite people, good friends from college who have scattered to different places along the east coast.  Saturday night I was out with these college friends and ran into a couple pals from high school.  The two groups combined to make one table, to share drinks and conversation. I felt some duty to introduce everyone to everyone else, and proceeded to do just that- "Jen lives in Boston and works at a design firm, Katie owns a store downtown, etc."  When I had covered everyone, one of my more insightful friends looked at me, and said, 'What about you?"

I didn't have an answer- all I could say was, "but...everyone already knows me..."  The super-simple question caught me almost entirely off-guard.  I've been thinking about it ever since, and I still don't have a really great answer.  I graduated in June and am looking for a job.  I'm a waitress.  I spend a lot of time on the internet.  Still, none of those things really define who I am.  How would you define yourself?
Self-reflection noted, the next obvious question is what are your resolutions for the new year?  Exercising more frequently tops my list, and I joined a local gym yesterday.  I'm also going to start some projects while I am still applying for jobs: selling pie and postcards.  The pie thing has been stuck in my head for much of the past year, and I just can't get away from it.  Postcards are one of my bigger interests and more constant hobbies.  Etsy is such a compelling tool, and I think it might provide a good market for a little venture.

I'll keep you posted on my progress; I wish you luck on all your ventures in this new year.

Comments