Skip to main content

sunflowers

It looks like this blog has been skirting around issues of design more and more, and focusing on my hobbies (pie baking being one of them.) I just can't help to post about my sunflowers, though... About a week and a half ago, I picked up a Sesame Street 'my first garden' kit. I will fully admit that I was attracted by the bright yellow packaging and also that I paid $1 extra for the Big Bird stickers and matching garden stakes. The kit included six teeny plastic pots, a package of sunflower seeds, and six disks of dehydrated soil. My friends and I planted them, and within the week they went from seeds to sprouts. They've now graduated to a great big pot (my $6 investment with the original kit turned into a $20 investment with the addition of jumbo pot and soil) and I have to say that I get daily joy from watching them grow. I'm sure there is a design moral in there somewhere (perhaps the draw of Big Bird?), but for now I will leave it at the fact that there is something intrinsically happy about doing work with your hands and the many miracles of nature.

Comments