Skip to main content

book of the moment

"Let me eat cake" by Leslie Miller
[image credit goes to Steve Campion at mostlynf.wordpress.com]
It's spring break, the perfect time to indulge in long sits with a good book. I gravitate toward non-fiction books about food and other objects of popular culture. They're interesting and give me something to talk about with my friends. This is how I came to pick up 'Let me eat cake' by Leslie Miller. I was intrigued and delighted at the prospect of an entire book about cake. Unfortunately, it fell a bit short of my high expectations. Miller spends a lot of the book waxing poetic about her passion for cake and meticulously documents Duff Goldman from Charm City Cakes. She spends less time covering the history of cake (claiming that it's a difficult history to trace) and regional specialties. It was a fun and easy book to read, but if your reading (time) budget is limited- as mine is- I would skip this one. Go pick up Donuts by John T. Edge. It's just as fun and twice as informative.

Comments