Skip to main content

carly's cooking club: chicken pot pie

Now I'm really getting out of control with my 'design' blog...posting photos of chicken pot pie...sheesh.

BUT. here is my reasoning: Co-op is like trying out life in the real world. You get a 'real' job in a 'real' place (I like to move around and try out living in different places...) and work 40 hour weeks. Now that I am squarely into this co-op quarter, I am trying to make life in the real world as good as possible. I have resolved to do what I can to exercise regularly, cook good food, and sleep. (Noble goals for the real world, I think.) This pie is arguably the first respectable thing I have made since I moved here.

In case you want the recipe:

Chicken Pot Pie

Pastry for 9” Two Crust Pie

2 Tbs Butter

2 Tbs flour

1 teas salt

1/8 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp thyme (optional)

½ C chicken broth

½ C light Cream or milk

2 C cut up chicken

frozen mixed veggies

Heat oven to 425

Prepare pastry in pie shell

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat, blend in flour, salt, pepper, thyme. Cook over low heat stirring until mixture is smooth & bubbly. remove from heat. Slowly stir in chicken broth & milk till smooth. Return to heat, heat to boiling stirring constantly. Boil I minute. Add chicken & veggies. Heat through. put in pie plate. Top with top crust – cut vent holes. Bake 35 to 45 minutes. If edges start to brown too much can cover edges with foil.


(Thanks mom!)


And in case you are wondering, the job is going well. I actually had a nightmarish dream last night that the quarter was over, and I was actually very sad.


Comments